Yesterday morning I was still up in bed and Josh came running up and said "Mom! There's water everywhere!" I went downstairs and stepped off the bottom step into about an inch of water...my entire wood floor (kitchen, eating area, entry way...) was covered in water!!! I ran to the sink to see a huge waterfall cascading out of the cupboard and onto the floor. (later diagnosis was that a crimp on the line had broken and the pipe burst). Luckily, I knew how to shut the water off. I called my good friend 2 houses down and told her to grab as many towels as she could carry and get over here! It took us about 45 minutes to mop up most of the water off the floor...then we went and checked the basement out...it was flooded...about 4 inches of water was in the crawl space and spilling out into the basement. Yep, I was about near tears! I called our insurance and they said, "No worries, you're covered!" They sent out a disaster relief team and they went to work pumping out the water out of the basement and then setting up HUGE fans all over the wood floors upstairs and the basement downstairs.
Today they came back and checked on them and decided the wood floors were just too damaged to keep...so they called my adjuster, she called a contractor and today I had 4 guys here tearing out my pretty hardwood floors! What a mess!!!! So, now, I get to choose a new wood floor...hmmm, maybe this isn't so bad after all...I'm getting a brand new floor!
Of course I had my camera handy to document all the fun...
Some of the soaking wet towels we tried to get the water up with

The basement
(you can see where the water was cascading down from the crawl space)

More water

And more water!

My poor wood floors...
these pictures do not do it justice,
they were warping and you could feel the water under as you walked!

Close-up

Let the fun begin!

Going...

...going....

as I get my new flooring put in!

GONE!
2 comments:
So sorry that you are having to deal with that! What a way to come home from vacation! Good luck! Thank heaven for insurance!
What A mess!! I hope you didn't lose anything valuable. But getting new flooring is a definite plus
Post a Comment